Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oil Sketch of Eli and Harper


Hello Friends:

Before I launch into a complicated portrait, I like to have "buy in" from the clients to make sure that I'm on the right track. Are we on the same page as far as the composition and feeling of the portrait are concerned? When the portrait has two or more people in it, the painting becomes more about the relationship between the people in it than about the individuals. Positioning and expression become very important.

This is an oil sketch on a board that I did as a preliminary piece to show the clients before I start on the final portrait. I hope that they like it, but if they don't, I won't have wasted time developing a painting that won't be appreciated! With their input, I would develop a new sketch to work from. Portrait painters can't be inflexible in their thinking, I've come to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Wise words Ann...thanks for saying all that. I am learning that too....i launched into a portrait without providing a rough sketch for the client and they weren't happy with it...THEN i did a sketch of a different composition...you're right....submit the sketch first...

    ReplyDelete