Monday, September 27, 2010

Akhila

 



Hello Friends:

"Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term art, I should call it "the reproduction of what the senses perceive in nature through the veil of the mist"" ~Edgar Allan Poe


When I saw Akhila in the studio a few nights ago, I couldn't wait to paint her. The shimmering costume and exotic dark features are what we artists recognize as the basis of an eye-catching portrait. This painting was completed while she sat for us, in a bit more than two hours. When I got the painting home, I decided to lighten the background to bring the focus completely on the model. I tried to do justice to Akhila's quiet smile-- it was as if she had very pleasant or humorous thoughts running through her mind the entire time she was sitting. It was such a pleasure to paint her.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment